Ukraine says Russia launched 209 drones overnight; military branches give differing tallies
Ukraine’s General Staff said early Wednesday that Russia launched 209 drones in an overnight attack, offering the higher of two preliminary official Ukrainian tallies for the same wave and underscoring how first reports can differ by agency and reporting window.
In a Telegram update posted May 19, the General Staff said the attack began “from 18:00 on 18 May” and involved 209 attack unmanned aerial vehicles. It said that, as of 08:30, Ukrainian air defenses had shot down or suppressed 180 enemy drones. The same update said 27 strike drones hit 15 locations, while debris fell at five locations.
Separately, Ukraine’s Air Force Command published a lower count for the same night, but using a different starting point and a later cutoff. The Air Force said the attack began from 23:00 on May 18 and involved 112 Shahed-type and imitation drones. As of 09:30, it said 76 had been neutralized: 41 shot down by firepower and 35 classified as locationally lost or suppressed by electronic warfare.
The two tallies are not directly comparable as published. They came from different military branches, used different reporting windows and were both explicitly preliminary. There was no consolidated official reconciliation of the figures in the material released Wednesday morning.
The General Staff said the attack was still ongoing at the time of its update, with several enemy drones still in the air. It described the wave as a mix of Shahed-type strike drones, including jet-powered variants, along with Gerbera, Italmas and Parodiya-type imitation or decoy drones. It said launches came from multiple directions, including Russian territory and occupied parts of Ukraine.
Such discrepancies are common in the first hours after large Russian drone attacks. Ukrainian military commands often work from different reporting chains and cut-off times, and they do not always classify outcomes the same way. Some drones are counted as physically shot down, while others are listed as suppressed by electronic warfare or “locationally lost,” meaning they disappeared from tracking after being jammed or diverted.
That reporting complexity has become more visible in May, when Ukraine has repeatedly reported large Russian drone salvos involving mixed waves of strike drones and decoys. Wednesday’s statements fit that broader pattern, but the immediate takeaway from the official updates was narrower: Ukrainian authorities were still counting an overnight assault that was not yet over, and the country’s two main military commands published different preliminary totals for it.
For now, the General Staff’s account stands as the broader official snapshot of the attack in progress: 209 drones launched since early evening, 180 downed or suppressed by 08:30, 27 recorded strikes across 15 locations, and debris reported at five sites. The Air Force’s lower figure covers a shorter time span and should be read on its own terms, not as a direct contradiction.