WHO declares PHEIC and Africa CDC issues continental alert for Bundibugyo Ebola in DRC and Uganda

·

The World Health Organization and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention have both raised the alarm over an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, activating their top emergency frameworks as officials confront a rare virus with cross-border spread.

WHO said in a statement dated May 17 that the Ebola epidemic caused by the Bundibugyo virus in the two countries constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, or PHEIC, the agency’s highest alert under international health rules. Africa CDC followed on May 18 by declaring a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security, or PHECS, its own mechanism for coordinating a continent-wide response.

The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of ebolavirus, a rarer form of Ebola than the better-known Zaire strain and one with no approved Bundibugyo-specific vaccine or treatment. That means the response depends heavily on fast case detection, isolation, infection prevention, supportive care and tracing contacts, rather than tools available for some outbreaks caused by Zaire ebolavirus.

In remarks on May 20, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the agency had identified 51 confirmed cases so far in the DRC’s Ituri and North Kivu provinces, along with almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths. He said Uganda had two confirmed cases in Kampala, including one death. Tedros also said WHO assessed the risk as high nationally and regionally, and low globally. Case totals have shifted quickly across agencies and dates, and officials have stressed the need to read the numbers in that context.

WHO said the emergency covers cases in the DRC’s Ituri and North Kivu provinces, including Bunia, Mongbwalu and Rwampara health zones, as well as cases imported to Kampala. The geography is central to the concern. WHO and Africa CDC have both pointed to cross-border movement, high population mobility in mining areas and insecurity in Ituri province as factors that raise the risk of further spread and complicate control efforts.

“Early on Sunday, I declared a public health emergency of international concern over an epidemic of Ebola disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda,” Tedros said on May 20.

A PHEIC is WHO’s highest formal alert under the International Health Regulations and is used to trigger international coordination and temporary recommendations. Africa CDC’s PHECS is a separate African Union emergency framework aimed at mobilizing institutions and resources across the continent. “Today, we declare this PHECS to mobilise our institutions, our collective will, and our resources to act swiftly and decisively,” Africa CDC Director-General Dr. Jean Kaseya said on May 18.

Tedros said the WHO declaration was unusual procedurally as well as substantively. “This is the first time a Director-General has declared a PHEIC before convening an Emergency Committee,” he said on May 20. WHO said Tedros made the determination on May 16. The International Health Regulations Emergency Committee then held its first meeting on May 19, and WHO published temporary recommendations on May 22. Tedros also said he had approved an additional $3.4 million from WHO’s contingency fund as the agency mobilizes support for the response.

The DRC’s Health Ministry declared the country’s 17th Ebola outbreak on May 15. That history matters mainly as context: previous outbreaks in eastern Congo have shown how conflict, insecurity and displacement can hinder surveillance, contact tracing and treatment, making containment harder even when the public health playbook is well established.

Tags: #ebola, #publichealth, #who, #africa