Reports: José Mourinho Agrees Two-Year Deal to Return to Real Madrid, Club Yet to Confirm

·

José Mourinho has reportedly agreed a two-year deal to return to Real Madrid, according to ESPN Brazil and several other outlets on Monday, though the Spanish club had not officially confirmed the appointment as of publication. Real Madrid’s official website did not carry a statement or “Comunicado” announcing Mourinho’s hiring.

Transfer reporter Fabrizio Romano also said Sunday that Mourinho’s return had been agreed in principle rather than formally completed. In a post on X that was reproduced by multiple outlets, Romano wrote: “BREAKING: José Mourinho back to Real Madrid, HERE WE GO! All terms have been verbally agreed between José Mourinho and Real Madrid, waiting to sign all documents. Plan for initial two year deal, JM to travel to Madrid after Real-Bilbao game. The Special One is back.” Sky Sports and other major outlets similarly described the move as verbally agreed or agreed in principle, pending formalities.

That reported progress sits alongside public pushback from Benfica, Mourinho’s current club. Benfica president Rui Costa said Saturday: “Until proven otherwise, José Mourinho is Benfica’s coach.” The comment underscored that, at least publicly, Benfica had not confirmed Mourinho’s exit even as reports in Spain, Brazil and elsewhere said he was closing in on a return to Madrid.

If confirmed, Mourinho would begin a second spell in charge of Real Madrid roughly 13 years after his first ended. The 63-year-old managed the club from 2010 to 2013 and won La Liga in the 2011-12 season, the Copa del Rey in 2010-11 and the 2012 Spanish Super Cup. He is therefore returning not as a new candidate, but as a former Madrid coach with a significant track record at the club.

The reports also mark a sharp change from Mourinho’s public position earlier this month. On May 1, he said: “No one from Real Madrid has spoken to me, I can guarantee you that. I have one more year on my contract with Benfica.” That made Monday’s reporting notable not only for the scale of the move but also for how quickly the situation appeared to have shifted from a public denial of contact to claims of a verbal agreement.

Real Madrid’s coaching situation has been unsettled this season. The club changed managers midseason, with Xabi Alonso leaving by mutual consent in January and former defender Álvaro Arbeloa taking over.

For now, though, the key distinction is between widespread reporting of an agreement and a completed appointment. ESPN Brazil, Romano and others have said Mourinho’s return is lined up on an initial two-year deal, but the documents were still reported to be unsigned this month, and Madrid had not formally announced him on Monday.

If the move is confirmed, it would bring Mourinho back for a second spell at one of world football’s highest-profile clubs.

Tags: #football, #real-madrid, #jose-mourinho, #benfica